Tuesday, March 25, 2014

OATS DOSA



                      


Oats is the super food of the times - it has come to dominate as health food among the diet-conscious section of the world. Rich in fiber, oats has the potential for a wide variety of dishes. Earlier oats was used to make porridge ('kanji' - I remember myself to be a big hater of all types of 'kanji' as I had associated them with sickness). Nowadays people of my generation have started incorporating one 'kanji' in their daily meal at this stage of life.

We have been making oats porridge and having it with dry fruits / fresh fruits - but once in a while. Oats having hit the scene in a big way, I too suddenly found myself going for it! We are avid dosa-lovers and so I wanted to try out oats dosa. 

Normally I grind for dosa in my wet grinder and have quite a pot-load of batter sitting in my fridge. It used to be idlis, dosas and uthappas day in and day out – we never get tired of those. But I had a slight problem of arthritis creeping up and my doctor asked me to stay away from fermented stuff – especially idli / dosa. Since then I have been adulterating my batter. After a day each of idli and dosa, I make varieties of dosa - mixing it with ragi / oats / wheat flour / poha ...

Well, if you have reached almost the bottom of your dosa batter pot, you can still manage to make enough dosas for the family by 'adulterating' it with any of the ingredients I have just mentioned.
Here is my version of oats dosa -
                
            

Makes 9-10 dosas



Ingredients

  1. Dosa batter - 1 cup
  2. Oats - 1 cup
  3. Green chilli - 2-3
  4. Curry leaves - 12-15
  5. Coriander leaves - 1-2 tbsp
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Oil - 1 tsp
  8. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  9. Urad dal - 1 tsp
  10. Asafetida - a pinch
  11. Oil for making dosa

Method

  1.  Soak 1 cup oats in 1-11/4 cups water for 1/2 hour.
  2.  Grind the oats, green chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves in the mixer to a fine paste.
  3.  Mix this batter well with 1 cup of dosa batter and required salt.
  4.  Heat 1 tsp oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal and asafetida. When they splutter, add them to the batter and mix well.
  5.  Add water to make it a thin batter.
  6.  Heat a tava and spread the batter all over and quickly spread it gently to make a dosa. Drizze oil all around and flip it after a minute.
  7.  Drizzle 1/2 tsp of oil around it, cook on medium flame till done and remove.
  8.  Serve hot with coconut chutney / molagappodi.
Tips

  1. Remember oats dosa takes a little longer to cook than regular dosa, so have patience and don’t flip before time – the dosa will break.
  2. You can cover the dosa with a plate and allow it to cook on medium-low heat and then flip it and cook.
  3. If you are not able to spread the batter, make it very thin and pour it on the tava and move it around to spread the batter evenly and continue.
  4. You can use a handful of curry leaves alone too (without adding coriander leaves) - they are rich in iron content.



© Copyright 2011. Brinda Balasubramonian.





No comments:

Post a Comment